Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Act 1, Scene 1

(Don’t Worry Be Happy plays. Curtain rises, all is black. Spotlight shines on a lone figure, a young woman.)

Sammy: (Sitting at laptop thinking aloud). Everyone loves a good love story. But only when the ending is happy. My stories never have a happy ending. Some say the greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. I say I’ll never learn that. Some say it’ll get better for me. I say my future is to be unlucky in love. Some say I’m being too hard on myself. I say… this is the way I see it.

(There’s a knock at the door.)

Sammy: Come in!
(Starts to tidy things)
Audrey: Hey my girly girl darling babe! Are you daydreaming again? You haven’t gotten any work done…
(Grabs laptop and shows blank screen to audience)
Sammy: I’m… having a dry spell!
Audrey: Yeah, right. Since you moved here and got all googly-eyed for that hunk-a-what’s-his-name. He’s still in college! He probably doesn’t even have any chest hair.
Sammy: Probably doesn’t. But he’s so dreamy!
Audrey: Ugh, whatever floats your boat. You can have him. I sure as hell don’t want him. (Seeing wistful eyes) Aw, baby. He still doesn’t get it, does he?
Sammy: Not really. He’s avoiding me less now! He hugged me yesterday. In class.
Audrey: You have got to be kidding me. You can’t let that little snot make or break your day.
Sammy: Yeah, I know… Have you ever been in love? I mean, really, truly, deeply, unconditionally in love?
Audrey: Not really…
Sammy: So you don’t understand. (Goes back to laptop)
Audrey: Come on, I’m gonna take you somewhere fun!
Sammy: Yes! Like we used to! The night is long, and I am in no mood for sleep…
Audrey: …tonight, we shall share the same dream…
Both: YES! (Laugh)
Sammy: Good times…
Audrey: Yeah…
Sammy: So… where do you wanna go?
(They grab their coats and head for the door)
Audrey: Oh, you know that cute little sandwich shop that opened up recently? The one on Trent?
Sammy: Oh yeah! Le Petit Canard, right?
Audrey: Yeah, I think. They have the cutest little stools!
Sammy: Have you tried their cucumber sandwiches? Delicious! (Both exit)

End scene.

No comments: